Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Roxy Paine on the Roof



(Photographs by Gisela Carbonell-Coll)

Last week I had the chance to visit the Metropolitan Museum in NYC and was amazed by Roxy Paine's Maelstrom. I loved the way this complex stainless steel system of branches spread out all over the roof garden at the Met. In order for the viewer to experience the piece, he/she must walk around it, into it, under it, etc. It is just amazing. My pictures are not as good as I thought they could be since it was so cloudy and gray that day, there is not much of a contrast but still I enjoyed it very much. The piece will be on view until October 25.

2 comments:

  1. Hola! Estuve allí hace unos días. Simplemente espectacular. Esa terraza del MET es una joya de por sí, y el Maelstorm de alguna forma te integra al central park y a la ciudad que le sirve de contexto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiram, saludos! Yo me la disfruté muchísimo. Estoy de acuerdo contigo--me encantó la mezcla del material industrial y la alusión a lo natural, exactamente lo que se ve desde la terraza.

    ReplyDelete